(405) 271-2131 Ext. 47128 or Ext. 47812
Postdoctoral Fellow, Reynold’s Oklahoma Center on Aging, 2013-2018
PhD, Cell Biology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 2012
MS. Biology, Loyola University, Chicago, IL, 2001
BSc., Biology, University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK, 1998
Dr. Logan’s research focuses on mitochondrial metabolism and its effects on cognitive aging. She is particularly interested in the cell-specific alterations with age that make the aged brain more susceptible to cognitive decline during normal aging and in neurodegenerative conditions such as, Alzheimer’s disease. Astrocytes are an important cell type in the brain that have an integral role in the maintenance and modulation of neuronal health and function by supplying important trophic factors and energy substrates necessary for normal function. Dr. Logan’s work delves into the mechanisms by which oxidative stress and the decline in a tropic hormone (IGF-1) changes with age mediate astrocytic responses in the brain to influence cognitive performance.
- Lee YI, Kim YG, Pyeon HJ, Ahn JC, Logan S, Orock A, Joo KM, Lőrincz A, Deák F. Dysregulation of the SNARE-binding protein Munc18-1 impairs BDNF secretion and synaptic neurotransmission: a novel interventional target to protect the aging brain. Geroscience. 2019 Apr;41(2):109-123. Orock A, Logan S,
- Deak F. Age-related cognitive impairment: Role of reduced synaptobrevin-2 levels in memory and synaptic plasticity deficits. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019 Jan 14;.
- Logan S, Owen D, Chen S, Chen WJ, Ungvari Z, Farley J, Csiszar A, Sharpe A, Loos M, Koopmans B, Richardson A, Sonntag WE. Simultaneous assessment of cognitive function, circadian rhythm, and spontaneous activity in aging mice. Geroscience. 2018 Apr;40(2):123-137.
- Orock A, Logan S, Deak F. Munc18-1 haploinsufficiency impairs learning and memory by reduced synaptic vesicular release in a model of Ohtahara syndrome. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2018 Apr;88:33-42.
- Logan S, Pharaoh GA, Marlin MC, Masser DR, Matsuzaki S, Wronowski B, Yeganeh A, Parks EE, Premkumar P, Farley JA, Owen DB, Humphries KM, Kinter M, Freeman WM, Szweda LI, Van Remmen H, Sonntag WE. Insulin-like growth factor receptor signaling regulates working memory, mitochondrial metabolism, and amyloid-β uptake in astrocytes. Mol Metab. 2018 Mar;9:141-155.
- Ashpole NM, Logan S, Yabluchanskiy A, Mitschelen MC, Yan H, Farley JA, Hodges EL, Ungvari Z, Csiszar A, Chen S, Georgescu C, Hubbard GB, Ikeno Y, Sonntag WE. IGF-1 has sexually dimorphic, pleiotropic, and time-dependent effects on healthspan, pathology, and lifespan. Geroscience. 2017 Apr;39(2):129-145.
- Ungvari Z, Tarantini S, Hertelendy P, Valcarcel-Ares MN, Fülöp GA, Logan S, Kiss T, Farkas E, Csiszar A, Yabluchanskiy A. Cerebromicrovascular dysfunction predicts cognitive decline and gait abnormalities in a mouse model of whole brain irradiation-induced accelerated brain senescence. Geroscience. 2017 Feb;39(1):33-42.
- Hadad N, Masser DR, Logan S, Wronowski B, Mangold CA, Clark N, Otalora L, Unnikrishnan A, Ford MM, Giles CB, Wren JD, Richardson A, Sonntag WE, Stanford DR, Freeman W. Absence of genomic hypomethylation or regulation of cytosine-modifying enzymes with aging in male and female mice. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2016;9:30.
- Ashpole NM, Herron JC, Estep PN, Logan S, Hodges EL, Yabluchanskiy A, Humphrey MB, Sonntag WE. Differential effects of IGF-1 deficiency during the life span on structural and biomechanical properties in the tibia of aged mice. Age (Dordr). 2016 Apr;38(2):38.
- Ashpole NM, Herron JC, Mitschelen MC, Farley JA, Logan S, Yan H, Ungvari Z, Hodges EL, Csiszar A, Ikeno Y, Humphrey MB, Sonntag WE. IGF-1 Regulates Vertebral Bone Aging Through Sex-Specific and Time-Dependent Mechanisms. J Bone Miner Res. 2016 Feb;31(2):443-54.
- Brock AJ, Kasus-Jacobi A, Lerner M, Logan S, Adesina AM, Anne Pereira H. The antimicrobial protein, CAP37, is upregulated in pyramidal neurons during Alzheimer's disease. Histochem Cell Biol. 2015 Oct;144(4):293-308.
Link to full publication list >